Helping you overcome your anxiety
In today’s blog, I will discuss hypnotherapy solutions for anxiety. Anxiety is something that affect each and everyone of us. If you are suffering from anxiety, you are not alone.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is part of normal human experience. We all know what it feels like to be anxious. Sometimes it can be a good thing as it can help us prepare for something, but for some people these moments of anxiety are not isolated and can affect their quality of life. This can create a domino effect leading to physical issues such as increased heart rate, muscular tension, sweating, feelings of breathlessness, headaches, stomach upset and skin problems.
When someone experiences anxiety, this activates their fight or flight response that gears the body towards surviving a perceived threat. This response increases blood flow to the heart (leading to a racing heart) and lungs (leading to hyperventilation) causing the stomach to not being able to function as effectively as it normally would.
What causes anxiety?
Often we develop anxiety following a series of stressful life events such as pressure at work, financial difficulties, and relationship issues, all at the same time. It can often result in feelings that we cannot cope with the demands placed upon us.
Some people may have a thinking style that contributes to anxiety, for instance overthinking a situation or expecting the worst possible scenario will always occur.
There has also been some research to suggest biological link to anxiety.
What can anxiety feel like?
- Feeling like you forgot to do something important but feeling this way all the time
- Beating yourself up for not being productive but also not having the energy to do a single thing
- Not being able to sleep because you are anxious and then being anxious about not getting enough sleep
- When you want to reach out to someone but you feel like you’re bothering them
- Screaming internally after having one awkward conversation with someone and think about it constantly
- Avoiding people and social events
- Feeling disconnected with your own body, others and the world
Things that can make anxiety worse
- Not having consistent or restful sleep
- Increased caffeine
- Trying to do too much at once
- Neglecting time for self-care
- Skipping or missing meals
- Dealing with many stressful situations
- Major life changes such as a new job or moving home
- Not moving your body enough
Hypnotherapy solutions for anxiety
Hypnotherapy is a great tool in helping combat anxiety. What fuels anxiety is your style of thinking and what is great about hypnosis is that it involves communication between your conscious and unconscious mind allowing you to break the pattern of negative thinking. You can find further information about Inner Resolve Hypnotherapy solutions here.
Anxiety is like a smoke alarm. If there is a fire, the alarm alerts us of the emergency. Sometimes, the smoke from a boiling pot also set off the alarm. Once we realise there is no fire, we can reset the alarm and go back to what we were doing. The alarm alerts us as it was supposed to do, but it was a mistake. Hypnotherapy is a good equivalent to the reset button of the alarm; it can teach your unconscious mind about the origins of the symptoms, that you can control the symptoms and learn new and healthier ways of responding to issues that arise.
It is common to feel dissociated from your body when you are anxious and hypnotherapy works really well in helping you become connected with your body again.
If you suffer from anxiety, you are not alone. It is not something to be ashamed of or feeling guilty about. In a fast-paced world that is becoming increasingly dominated by social media and external pressures, it is understandable to feel overwhelmed. The trick is to turn the pressures into eustress. I discuss this in my previous blog here.
I feel that self-care is very important in maintaining anxiety. You may not be able to control everything, but you can manage anything.